Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Lise Kim Horton_*

Pushing the Erotica Envelope

Guest Guest_Lise Kim Horton_*

I am fairly new to the writing of erotica (and this Chapter) and I wondered if I might ask a question of the members of Passionate Ink.

It seems to me that writers are more able to "push the envelope" when writing erotica in settings that are in the paranormal and futuristic genres (in particular shape shifters, vampires, etc.). I am anxious to find out if there is a consensus on this, as I am currently in the midst of writing a futuristic that is doing just that.

Having read numerous Ellora's Cave, Red, Aphrodesia, etc. titles, I find more in the way of forceful sexual encounters, and more kink in those that are in the paranormal genre, (perhaps because the genre enables the author to operate outside the boundary of what is generally accepted when writing contemporary stories, or stories taking place within traditional society (meaning historicals)).

Anyone have a thought on this?

(And thanks!)

:wink_smile:

Guest Francesca Hawley
I am fairly new to the writing of erotica (and this Chapter) and I wondered if I might ask a question of the members of Passionate Ink.

It seems to me that writers are more able to "push the envelope" when writing erotica in settings that are in the paranormal and futuristic genres (in particular shape shifters, vampires, etc.). I am anxious to find out if there is a consensus on this, as I am currently in the midst of writing a futuristic that is doing just that.

Having read numerous Ellora's Cave, Red, Aphrodesia, etc. titles, I find more in the way of forceful sexual encounters, and more kink in those that are in the paranormal genre, (perhaps because the genre enables the author to operate outside the boundary of what is generally accepted when writing contemporary stories, or stories taking place within traditional society (meaning historicals)).

Anyone have a thought on this?

(And thanks!)

:wink_smile:

Hi Lise,

I'm working on a medieval right now and it is hot and a lot kinkier than I thought it was going to be. It has a paranormal twist, but it isn't the paranormal aspect that is driving the kink - it's the hero. He's hot.

Also, I think pushing boundries would work well in a a wide variety of historical settings (paranormal twist or not). After all, the Victorians were staid and sober in the living room, but in their bedrooms they were...kinky. Look at the fabulous books by Robin Schone for proof of that!

There's a lot of fodder for interest in the forbidden in different historical periods (like the Middle Ages) and tons of materials among societies where wildness was the norm (like Roman culture). I think hot and pushing the envelope can happen wherever your imagination leads you. At least that's my two cents. Your mileage may vary. :hotpants:

Francesca Hawley

Guest Marie Harte

Hey Lise.

I'd agree with you on the "pushing the envelope" consensus. Take for example my paranormals and futuristics. I normally write the true fantasy, no worries about pregnancies or STD's because, hey, in that particular world, a certain race is disease-free, or the heroine has control over her reproductive cycle. I got slammed when I subbed my first contemporary to Loose Id because I wasn't so concerned with the reality of sex, so to speak. Had to work out birth control issues and safe sex from the start. So yeah, I'd say FF&P are easier to work wild sex with. And you can push boundaries as well, like you mentioned. Forceful interaction is much more acceptable from the alpha male shapeshifter or alien than Bob who lives down the street...unless of course you're writing a novel with BDSM elements or kink clearly implied.

My two cents. :wink_smile:

Marie

Guest Kate Pearce

It's an interesting question. I write in 3 sub-genres and I agree with you about the paranormals and futuristics being very envelope pushing. Contemporaries are harder imo, because what's to stop someone from just walking away if the sex gets a bit kinky? If you get into keeping someone captive, etc etc you get into murky water :wink_smile: or into BDSM which is a hole other story

But my favorites to write are definitely the historicals-my edgiest, darkest stories m/m, menage etc are all written in this sub-genre so you can do it.

kate

Guest jensoko

With good character development, you can put edgy kink in any setting--you just have to give your characters good reason to "go along with reservations."

I write futuristics, and I admit it's easier to step into a setting where the morals are vastly different from the modern or historical world we're used to. It seems so much less hassle to have characters in a setting where they don't have to examine, confront, and reject the morals of our culture in order to get jiggy. :wink_smile:

But equally as significant for me, at least, is the idea that I get to answer a question about what society would be like without the influences that have shaped contemporary morals and society, or if those influences differed by just one or two things. You can do the same thing in a contemporary or historical by creating a subculture or a subset of the larger society, and the divergences and clashes between the subculture and the main culture can be an adventure of their own.

In point of fact, the "pushing the envelope" aspect of writing erotica or erotic romance can be done in any situation as long as the new thing is different and "scary" enough *to the character,* no matter the setting.

Guest Cathleen Ross

I think this genre is one where writers can push the envelope especially where sex is concerned. However, just the nature of the genre means that we can cross over to include all the other genres. I think right now you could do whatever you like in sex providing it's legal and your editor will tell you to tone it down.

Good luck with what you're doing. If you fiind yourself wanting to write a lot of sex into the paranormal you can always make it an erotic paranormal rather than a paranormal with sexy scenes.

Best

Cathleen Ross

Man Hunt, Black Lace Books