Code of Ethics and Anti-Discrimination Policy
Code of Ethics
The Passionate Ink Member Code of Ethics (“Code of Ethics”) serves as a code of professional conduct for Passionate Ink members. Its purpose is to encourage Passionate Ink members to exhibit integrity, honesty, and other sound industry practices, thereby elevating the professionalism of the Passionate Ink’s membership.
The principles of this Code of Ethics are expressed in broad statements to guide ethical decision-making. The Passionate Ink Code of Ethics is a framework and is not intended to dictate behavior in particular situations.
Any member found to be in violation of the Passionate Ink Code of Ethics may be subject to disciplinary action pursuant to the Code of Ethics.
- Passionate Ink members support the preservation of authorial and intellectual property rights.
- Passionate Ink members strive for excellence and integrity in the profession of erotic fiction.
- Passionate Ink members strive to treat fellow members and others with respect through adherence to the Passionate Ink Antidiscrimination Policy and the Passionate Ink Antiharassment Policy.
- Passionate Ink members observe and adhere to all of Passionate Ink’s Bylaws, policies, and other rules.
In adhering to this Code of Ethics, Passionate Ink members shall avoid:
- Intentionally or recklessly copying the written works of others (including but not limited to books, articles, and/or manuscripts) with an intention to claim such work(s) as the member’s own.
- Unauthorized use of another member’s intellectual property, including but not limited to such other member’s name, logo, trademarks, service marks, or other marks, and/or copyrighted materials.
- Unauthorized use of Passionate Ink and/or Passionate Ink chapter property, including but not limited to funds or money, Passionate Ink’s name, logo, other trademarks, service marks, or other marks, copyrighted materials, and membership listings.
- Intentionally or recklessly making false or misleading oral or written statements about Passionate Ink where such statements are injurious to Passionate Ink, its reputation, or its purposes.
- Intentional or reckless misrepresentation of Passionate Ink membership qualifications or credentials to Passionate Ink or to the public.
- Intentionally, recklessly, and/or repeatedly engaging in any acts of a violent, discriminatory, harassing (as defined in the Passionate Ink Antidiscrimination and Antiharassment Policy), or intimidating conduct that objectively threaten a member’s career, reputation, safety, or well-being. Specifically excluded from this prohibition are bona fide exchanges of business information, true statements, personal disagreements, honest discussions of books and similar writings, non-Passionate Ink-operated social media posts, and business marketing materials.
- Intentionally, recklessly, and/or repeatedly making a member’s personal and private identifying information public with the intent of harming the other member’s career, reputation, or well-being.
- Recommending author services on Passionate Ink forums, through Passionate Ink chapters, or through any other Passionate Ink resource while failing to disclose commissions or finder’s fees that have been offered specifically to the member by the provider of said services in exchange for finding future business.
- Any discussions, exchanges, or actions in material violation of federal or state antitrust laws.
Antidiscrimination and Antiharassment Policy
Passionate Ink is committed to providing all of its members with an environment free from discrimination and harassment. Passionate Ink does not discriminate against or allow harassment of any member based on race, ethnicity, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, ancestry, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by law. In order to create a safe and respectful environment, discrimination and harassment of any sort is prohibited in Passionate Ink.
Passionate Ink is committed to an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to foster, develop, and advance their careers in an atmosphere that promotes equal opportunities and prohibits unlawful discriminatory practices, including harassment.
Harassment on the basis of any protected characteristic is strictly prohibited. Under this policy, harassment is any verbal, written, or physical conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law, or that of his or her relatives, friends, or associates, and that: (i) has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment; (ii) has the purpose or effect of interfering with an individual’s performance or ability to participate in Passionate Ink programs or events; or (iii) otherwise affects an individual’s ability to participate in Passionate Ink programs or events.
Harassing conduct includes epithets, slurs, or negative stereotyping; threatening, intimidating, or hostile acts; denigrating jokes; and written or graphic material that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual or group.
Sexual harassment means any unwelcome conduct, comment, gesture, or contact of a sexual nature, whether on a one-time basis or in a continuous series of incidents that might reasonably be expected to offend or embarrass an individual. Sexual harassment also includes any unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical unwelcome conduct.
As a professional association, Passionate Ink is committed to diversity, equity, professional treatment of ideas, and respectful treatment of all members and volunteers. Passionate Ink seeks to provide a professional atmosphere in which diverse participants may learn, network, and otherwise participate in an environment of mutual respect. Conduct that is prohibited includes but is not limited to:
- Harassment or intimidation based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, physical appearance, body size, or any other characteristic protected by law
- Sexual harassment or intimidation, including unwelcome sexual attention, stalking, or unsolicited physical contact
- Harassment, intimidation, or coercion based upon a position as a board member, committee member, or any position of influence
- Abusive, lewd, or threatening conduct
- Bullying, harassment, or unprofessional conduct toward members, employees, volunteers, or other participants in or at Passionate Ink programs or events
- Physical violence or threats of violence